|One Month Before Moving...|
- Fill out change of address order form for the post office.
- Fill out an IRS change of address form.
- Make arrangements with moving company or reserve a rental truck.
- Make travel arrangements, if necessary, with airlines, buses, car rental agencies or hotels.
- Transfer membership in clubs and civic organizations.
- Obtain medical and dental records, x-rays and prescription histories. Ask doctor and dentist for referrals and transfer prescriptions.
- Set up a checking account in your new city.
- Check into the laws and requirements of your new city regarding homebased businesses, professional tests, business licenses and any special laws that might be applicable to you.
- Take inventory of your belongings before they´re packed, in the event you need to file an insurance claim later. If possible, take pictures or video tape your belongings. Record serial numbers of electronic equipment.
- Make arrangements for transporting pets.
- Start using up food items, so that there is less to a pack and possibly spoil.
|One To Two Weeks Before Moving...|
- Switch utility services to new address. Inform electric, disposal, water, newspaper, magazine subscription, telephone and cable companies of your move.
- Arrange for help on moving day.
- Confirm travel reservations.
- Reserve elevator if moving from an apartment.
- Have appliances ready for moving.
- Clean rugs and clothing and have them wrapped for moving.
- Plan ahead for special needs of infants.
- Close bank accounts and have the funds wired to your new bank. Before closing, be sure there are no outstanding checks or automatic payments that haven´t been processed.
- Collect valuables from safe-deposit box. Make copies of any important documents before mailing or hand carry them to your new address.
- Check with your insurance agent to ensure you´ll be covered through your homeowner´s or renter´s policy during the move.
- Defrost freezer and refrigerator. Place deodorizer inside to control odors.
- Give a close friend or rlative your travel route and schedule so you may be reached if needed.
|On Moving Day...|
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves, attic and garage to be sure they are empty.
- Carry important documents, currency and jewelry yourself, or use registered mail.
- Carry traveler´s checks for quick, available funds.